We are part of a rapidly growing global alliance campaigning for divestment. We’re working with trade unions, scheme members and others to persuade the Greater Manchester Pension Fund to ditch its risky and polluting investments in fossil fuel companies.
In response to the climate emergency, we’re calling on the Greater Manchester Pension Fund to:
- Make the fund fossil free within the next 2 years.
- Immediately move all investments out of the most polluting fossil fuels (coal, tar sands & fracking).
- Develop a strategy to invest in local climate solutions in Greater Manchester.
Wildfires, droughts, floods, hurricanes, extreme heat … the GMPF is funding climate chaos.
- Almost £1 billion is currently invested in polluting fossil fuel companies such as Shell & BP.
- These companies are risky investments for our planet and our pockets.
- GMPF should take urgent action on the climate emergency – net zero by 2050 is too late.
Take a look at our “get involved” page.
What is divestment?
Over 80% of the world’s coal, oil and gas reserves are unburnable if we want to halt climate change.
The hundreds of billions of pounds invested in energy projects every year need to be moved out of the fossil fuel industry and invested in clean energy instead.
Universities, pension funds, churches and other institutions are increasingly taking their investments out of coal, oil and gas.
We’ve joined this rapidly growing global alliance, and are campaigning to persuade the Greater Manchester Pension Fund (GMPF) to divest the £1 billion it has invested in fossil fuels.
The Greater Manchester Pension Fund (GMPF) is the largest and dirtiest in the country. By following in the footsteps of hundreds of investors, from Norway to New York to Cardiff, the GMPF must divest to…
- Do the right thing
for a safe future for members, their families and families around the world
- Reduce financial risk
secure our pensions as fossil fuels are phased out.
- Protect our reputation
live up to Greater Manchester’s zero-carbon ambition.
- Invest in the future
support clean renewable energy, not the fossil fuel dinosaurs of the past.
If you’d like to join the campaign, why not come along to one of our meetings? We meet on Zoom the second and fourth Monday of the month. All welcome. Please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you’d like to join our meetings and we’ll send you a Zoom link.